Pakistan Authorities Silent on Church Attack Investigation
Police Claim Culprits Caught, But None Have Been Identified

by Barbara G. Baker

ISTANBUL, January 30 (Compass) -- Five weeks after grenade-throwing
assailants attacked a village church in Pakistan's remote northern
Punjab region, local police officials remain tight-lipped concerning
their promise to take "quick and stern action" to arrest and prosecute
the culprits.

It was nearly three weeks after the deadly Christmas night attack before
Gujranwala's deputy inspector general (DIG) Malik Iqbal announced, on
January 12, that one of two accused suspects had been taken into
custody. Citing security concerns, Iqbal refused to name the captured
suspect or his counterpart still at large, although he stated that under
police interrogation, the man under arrest had "confessed his
involvement" in the attack.

Five days later, Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf told reporters in
Lahore that he had just been informed that the culprits who carried out
the Daska church attack had all been arrested.

Three young girls were killed and another 13 worshippers injured in the
December 25 attack near Daska in Chianwali village, where Christian
families had gathered for their annual Christmas program in a small
Presbyterian chapel.

Local Christians directly implicated a local Islamist cleric, Mohammed
Afzal, filing a formal First Investigation Report (FIR) against him at
the police station. Afzal is accused in the FIR of instigating the
attack in recent months by the violent anti-Christian rhetoric in his
mosque sermons, which repeatedly called on "every good Muslim" to kill

Over the next few days, police officials announced that the mosque
leader, his sons and several other associates had been put under arrest.
All are said to be open supporters of the Jaish-e-Mohammed (Army of
Mohammed), a banned group of Islamic militants fighting Indian rule in
disputed Kashmir. But it remains unclear whether they are still in
custody or will face charges over the deadly attack.

The actual attackers, who were unmasked and identified by eyewitnesses
as two young men named Rashid and Dildar, reportedly fled the scene by
running into Afzal's "madrassah" (Islamic school) nearby.

After his second fact-finding visit to the Daska area on January 22,
coordinator Joseph Francis of the Center for Legal Aid Assistance and
Settlement (CLAAS) noted that the police chief heading the investigation
was "not confirming anything," including the identity of the alleged
culprits in custody.

"When we met him last time, he was not giving any solid answers,"
Francis said. "He is still saying, 'Oh yes, we have arrested the two
sons of the maulvi [mosque leader],' but he is not really mentioning

Even more disturbing, local Christians publicly testified at an
Islamabad press conference January 20 that they were being "warned that
Christians should not press the police to carry on with the
investigation," Reuters news agency reported on January 21.

"We have been receiving calls from people harassing us with a message:
shut your mouth, or we will shut your mouth," local activist Jonathan
Rehmat Gill told the assembled press.

Although Pakistani authorities claim to have arrested or killed all of
the perpetrators of six terrorist attacks launched against Christian
churches and institutions in Pakistan in the past 15 months, few
suspects have been named and none formally charged and put on trial.

To date 42 Pakistanis have been killed and another 88 injured in the
attacks, apparently mounted by Islamist militants opposing Islamabad's
support of the U.S.-led offensive against the former Taliban regime and
the al-Qaeda movement.

Teenage Survivor Re-Hospitalized
A month after the Christmas church attack, the Pakistani government
fulfilled its promise to provide monetary compensation to the victims'
families and the injured survivors. In a joint ceremony in Chianwali
attended by both the federal and Punjab ministers for minorities and
youth affairs, checks totaling 300,000 rupees ($5,000) were given to
each of the three victim's families, with 150,000 rupees ($2,500)
allocated for each person injured.

During the January 22 presentation, Federal Minister Rais Munir Ahmad
was quoted in "The Nation" newspaper as saying that the minorities in
Pakistan were "freely enjoying their religious rights without any fear
and pressure. The worship places of all minorities are safe," the
minister declared, reiterating that the Chianwali culprits had been
caught and would be "punished under the law."

By this time, all the wounded had been discharged from the hospitals,
although the following day teenager Shakila Masih was re-admitted to the
neurology ward of Lahore's Mayo Hospital.

"Shakila is in a very critical condition," a CLAAS representative said
last week. Due to severe head wounds, the 14-year-old girl remained in a
coma for an extended period, and is still "not in her senses," the
representative said. "The government has said that they will allow
Shakila to come back to the hospital for further treatment."

Doctors have confirmed that three of the injured Christians will be
permanently disabled by the loss of one or both of their eyes in the
blast. Afzal Masih was totally blinded, while his brother Aslam lost one
eye and is still fighting infection in his other eye. Despite surgery,
Asiya Masih is expected to lose her sight in one eye as well.

Return to Project Open Book